Well, hello there developers,
The reason I addressed developers specifically is because of the fact that this article is meant mostly for them. But if you insist that you need to know, then let’s get started.
This is nothing new and in fact, this offer from Microsoft has been around for quite a while. The free account offer for students started long back in 2012. Microsoft agrees to provide free lifetime access to the Windows Dev Center and the Windows Store. On top of that, any student can create their own app and publish the same for free or as paid, they can track the app’s progress and get noticed in the Developer community.
Microsoft surely aims in building a better Windows Store with ample amount of apps for their users of both PC as well as Microsoft Windows Phones. The DreamSpark Program from Microsoft was introduced for Students, Educators and Academic Institutions to provide selected Microsoft software and tools to give a head start to the career of many developers and also encourage them in building a better digital world, together.
Having said all that, let’s see how we can get an account for free, legally ( giggle ). Microsoft, on their blog, they have already explained the way to get this, but here, I’ll try to explain in a simpler, quicker and easier way, if that’s your way to do things.
So basically, we need to do the following step(s):
- Create and sign in to a Microsoft Live account if you don’t have one. But if you do, then skip creation and directly sign in. Do this from here
- Next, you need to create a DreamSpark account and verify that you are a student. If you are already verified, then continue to next step.
- You will be redirected to verification once you fill up DreamSpart SignUp form. The verification is hassle free and you could upload any relevant ID card provided by your School or College or University. Now this may/may not take a couple of days, but once you have got it verified, continue to the next step. I had to wait for mine for about two-three days.
- Once you receive an “account verified” confirmation mail, log into your DreamSpark Account and select Software Catalog tab. Then select “Windows Store Developer Account” under Developer & Designer tools.
- Now you have to get the registration code. Click on Get code Now, upon which you will receive a code. With this code, you are gonna get free lifetime access to the Store and Windows Dev Center.
- Now all you have to do is register at the Windows Store , sign up, fill out the details, use the code, and then, get coding.
Once you enter the code, you will see, the billing section says, No Payment is required, hit Next Accept, and Finish.
Viola. You are done.
Now, this post might seem lengthy, but trust me, it’s very easy to get this done. In the case of any queries, do ask in the comments below. Bye for now.